- The Pier is a 3-star B&B with 5-bedrooms, situated in the heart of Southsea adjacent to the street leading to the Southsea sea front.
- We aim to cater for the needs of all our guests. However, our Grade II listed Georgian building could not be readily adapted to meet the needs of wheel chair users and we regret we cannot offer ground floor guest rooms.
- The Pier is situated within 10 minute level walk of Southsea’s and Portsmouth Dockyard’s numerous attractions and facilities. Several restaurants and cafes are within 5 minutes walk of The Pier. In particular, a Coffee shop, a Wine Bar and a Restaurant lie within 30 metres of The Pier. A small Co-operative store is within 4 minutes level walk of The Pier.
- More information about our B&B can be found on our web site: www.pier-hotel.com .
- We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance, please phone our proprietor, Gill Webb, on 023 9282 3813 or email her on firstname.lastname@example.org
- The nearest railway station is Portsmouth Harbour. National Express Coaches stop at The Hard, (adjacent to this station) and WightLink ferries from Ryde also berth close to the station. A taxi rank, which usually has accessible taxis, is adjacent to the station and the journey to the B&B is approximately 0.9 miles.
- Car and pedestrian WightLink Ferries from Wooton berth at Camber Dock where taxis usually await their arrival, for the 0.7 mile journey to the B&B.
- HoverTravel services to Southsea arrive close to Clarence Pier which is 0.5 mile from our B&B. Taxis are usually available at the HoverTravel terminal.
- There is at lkeast one local taxi firm which offers accessible taxis. If requested, we shall pass their telephone numbers to our guests or order a suitable taxi for them.
- Pavements in the vicinity of The Pier are level with no significant gradients and most kerbs have ramps for wheel chairs users.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- Free on-street parking is available to guests. They will be provided with a parking permit on arrival valid for the duration of their stay, which entitles them to free parking in designated metered parking areas in the immediate vicinity of The Pier
- Car drivers are invited to pull up for unloading only in the No Parking area immediately outside The Pier’s main entrance, where passengers may be dropped off, baggage may be unloaded and the parking permit collected. We should be happy to help with guests’ luggage. Advice on suitable parking area will then be given.
- Pedestrian access between the parking zones and the B&B is via level, well lit pavements.
Main Entrance and Reception
- The Pier’s main entrance is accessed up two 12 cm steps immediately abuts a wide, level pavement alongside the road to the sea front.
- The front door has a clearance of 71 cm and leads to the main ground floor corridor which is 85 cm wide. The front door is kept closed but always able to be opened from the inside as it is the main fire exit from the building.
- This corridor is illuminated by florescent overhead lights. It is carpeted with dusky pink short pile carpet to contrast with the white the staircase to the guest rooms.
- On arrival the guest lounge doubles as a reception area or, if they prefer, guests may be shown directly to their bedrooms where the arrival formalities can be completed.
Public Areas – Hall, Stairs, Landing, Corridors
- The guest lounge is on the ground floor and is accessed from the corridor through a 76 cm wide door. The lounge is on a single level and is a carpeted area. It offers with a variety of seating – some upright firm chairs some easy armchairs and sofa arranged around a low coffee table. Some chairs may be readily moved if necessary to facilitate access. The lounge is lit by a chandelier and wall lights all fitted with energy efficient bulbs. There is a good contrast between floor and the white walls.
- The breakfast room is on the ground floor and is accessed from the corridor through a 76 cm wide door. It is on a single level and has a wood effect laminate floor which contrasts with the light walls. There is at least 80 cm clearance between tables which offer little scope for movement. Most breakfast chairs have no arms and can be readily moved to facilitate access. The breakfast room is lit by a chandelier and wall lights all fitted with energy efficient bulbs. There is a good contrast between floor and the white walls.
- We are pleased to adapt breakfast menus to meet the needs of vegetarian, vegans, celiac or similar diets, provided we are advised of requirements and constraints on the preceding day.
- The stairways and passageways are at least 75 cm wide and are carpeted in dusky pink short pile carpet throughout which contrast with the white walls. They are lit by fluorescent lights which are on time switches operated which can be operated by guests. Stairways have a handrail or banister rail on one side only. There are 11 stairs, each 18 cm high, to a half landing. Four stairs from the half landing lead to Room 1. Two further stairs lead from the half landing to Rooms 2 and 3 and to a full landing. A further flight of 11 stairs leads to the second floor bedrooms 4 and 5.
- The only WC facilities for guests are within the en suite bedrooms.
- All five guest bedrooms incorporate en suite facilities.
- Bedroom 1 on the first floor is a twin bedded room. First floor Bedrooms 2 and 3 and second floor bedrooms 4 and 5 have king sized double beds.
- Bedroom doors offer 76 cm clearance, except Room 1 where clearance is only 69 cm. The room number is on each bedroom door is indicated by a raised brass numeral. All bedroom doors are fitted with self closing mechanisms in compliance with fire regulations.
- All bedrooms are carpeted with dusky pink short pile carpets in contrast with the white walls.
- The tops of mattresses on all beds are 60 cm above floor level.
- All bedrooms are fitted with either a central light and/or wall lights controlled by a light switch just inside the bedroom door. All rooms are also equipped with two bedside lights switched from the bed.
- In addition to washing facilities in the en suite facilities, each room is equipped with a vanity unit incorporating a wash basin with traditional turn taps. There is no clearance under these wash hand basins. Additional lighting is available at these units around the mirror over the basin.
En suite facilities
- Room 1 has a tiled toilet room equipped with a toilet (40 cm above floor) and a small wash basin. It is accessed from within the bedroom via a 70 cm wide door. It is lit by a ceiling light as well as a shaving light. Room 1 also has a shower cubical which has clear 80 cm access the moulded slip resistant shower tray illuminated by ceiling light.
- Rooms 2, 3, 4 and 5 have similar en suite arrangements. Each incorporates a compact moulded unit containing a toilet, wash basin and shower unit. Access is over a 24 cm step up from bedroom floor level through a 60 cm door. The floor is a non-slip moulding in a different colour from the walls. The wash basin is 85 cm high; the toilet is 43 cm high. The en suite units are illuminated by ceiling lights and there is a shaving light over the mirror over the wash basin.
- Free Wi-Fi Internet facilities throughout the B&B are available to all guests.
- Local shopping and leisure facilities at Gunwharf Quays (0.4 mile from the B&B) is fully prepared for access and offers a Shopmobility service. (See the website for their disability audit:
- The nearest A&E hospital is Queen Alexand ra Hospital, Cosham 6 miles distant. A walk-in clinic is operated at St Mary’s Hospital in Portsmouth 3 miles away. Several doctors surgeries operate in the vicinity of The Pier and these are best accessed via the “Dial 111” service.
- The nearest Red Cross depot for loan of mobility aids is in Winchester (Tel: 0845 054 7222).
- Although The Pier does not normally accept pets, care dogs and guide dogs can be accommodated by prior arrangement. There are no run or toilet areas for dogs on the premises but there is local common ground